Corporate transactional attorney with 15+ years of international structured finance experience. Proven success in structuring, negotiating and closing complex deals in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Eastern Europe and Middle East.
- Areas of expertise include cross-border structured and corporate finance, private equity investment funds, financial services, microfinance, SME finance, social and impact investment, aircraft and equipment finance.
- Demonstrated ability to build a solid foundation for finance and investment decisions through comprehensive legal analysis, due diligence, and advisement on legal risks and solutions.
- Significant large law firm, outside counsel, and in-house/general counsel experience.
LAW OFFICES OF MARCIA L. NORDGREN, P.L.L.C., Washington, D.C.
Principal and Founder
- Corporate law practice specializing in international finance and development in emerging markets. Advise project sponsors, equity investors, and financial advisors with respect to structuring transactions, and negotiating debt and equity investments; oversee local counsel; and manage deal process to reach financial close. Clients include companies doing business with international and development financial institutions, such as OPIC and the IFC.
LEGAL CONSULTANT, Arlington, Virginia
2008 – 2009
- Structured, negotiated and closed international finance, private equity fund, capital market, SME, and microfinance transactions in emerging markets for clients that included OPIC, FINCA, and Small Enterprise Assistance Funds.
GLOBAL COMMUNITIES (CHF INTERNATIONAL, INC.), Silver Spring, Maryland
2007 – 2008
- General Counsel/Management: CHF’s first in-house counsel. Participated in strategic planning with senior management; provided legal advice for CHF and its overseas affiliates; negotiated commercial agreements; managed commercial disputes and litigation; and was primary legal resource across the CHF organization.
- International Finance: Structured, negotiated, and closed debt and equity facilities provided by international and development financial institutions to CHF, and its overseas branches and subsidiaries. Established overseas branches, subsidiaries, partnerships, and joint ventures; structured and negotiated acquisitions and divestitures.
OVERSEAS PRIVATE INVESTMENT CORPORATION, Washington, D.C.
1999 – 2007
Assistant General Counsel, 2000-2007; Senior Commercial Counsel, 1999-2000
- International Finance: Structured, negotiated and closed complex financings for U.S. companies investing in projects in Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Asia. Presented key projects to OPIC’s Board for approval. Represented OPIC in dealings with senior U.S. business executives, commercial and multilateral banks, and U.S. and foreign government officials. Conducted legal and financial in-country due diligence. Successfully developed and implemented OPIC’s loan guaranty program, resulting in more than $2 billion in available capital for project finance and microfinance transactions worldwide.
- Political Risk Insurance: Responsible for legal aspects of structuring and documenting political risk insurance coverage with respect to investments made by U.S. companies in emerging markets. Successfully negotiated claim settlements and managed claim recoveries. Negotiated bilateral investment treaties with host country governments. Responsible for successful conclusion of two international arbitrations matters.
ROLLS-ROYCE NORTH AMERICA INC., Reston, Virginia
1994 – 1999
Associate General Counsel
First aircraft finance counsel in North America headquarters of Rolls-Royce plc, the aircraft engine manufacturer.
- Finance: Advised Finance/Treasury departments on legal aspects of structuring and documenting sales finance packages, establishing loan and guaranty facilities, and managing over $1 billion of contingent liability risk. Successfully negotiated and closed several complex secured aircraft financings totaling over $600 million.
- Legal Management: Advised Rolls-Royce companies worldwide on corporate governance/compliance, FCPA, bankruptcy, antitrust, insurance, product liability, employment matters. Managed litigation and outside counsel.
HUNTON & WILLIAMS, New York, New York
1991 – 1994
- Represented equity participants in aircraft, railcar, and manufacturing facility leveraged lease financings.
MUDGE ROSE GUTHRIE ALEXANDER & FERDON, New York, New York
1987 – 1991
- Represented financing parties in domestic and cross-border aircraft and equipment financings.
RUTGERS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D, 1987; Managing Editor, Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal.
MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE, Middlebury, Vermont
- B.A., 1981; Cum Laude; Double Major, Political Science and French; Minor in International Relations.
- L’Institute d’Etudes Politiques de Paris, France, 1980.
- Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, 1980.
Other Experience / Employment
UNITED NATIONS INTERNATIONAL ELECTIONS OBSERVER, Mozambique
Co-Author, UN Oversight of the Elections in Mozambique, International Law Practicum, Vol. 8, No. 1, Spr. 1995
MCGRAW-HILL, INC., New York, New York
1983 – 1984
Corporate Paralegal to General Counsel
DAVIS POLK & WARDWELL, New York, New York
1981 – 1983
Professional / Personal
BAR ADMISSIONS: New York, New Jersey, District of Columbia; Second Circuit.
LANGUAGES/CITIZENSHIP: English, French; U.S. Citizenship.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS: New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) United Nations and International Organizations Committee; NYSBA Committee on International Investment; NYSBA Microfinance Subcommittee; ABA Subcommittee on Aircraft Finance; Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia.
PRO BONO/VOLUNTEER ORGANIZATIONS: Simple Changes, Inc. (Vice-Chairman and Co-Founder, 2005-2012); Middlebury College Admissions Program (2004 – Present).